There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way.
- Christopher Morley
You have entered www.tomaskarlsson.com, the official website of
Tomas Karlsson - guitarist, educator/ teacher, composer/ songwriter/ arranger, poet, jazz club owner, cultural producer, philosopher... - Kristiinankaupunki, Finland
Here you will find the latest information on what I am up to these days, like my bands, gigs and other projects. This site will also be a source for all kinds of nice and useful stuff for ( jazz) guitarists/ musicians such as FREE lessons, my original tunes, some licks, etudes, transcriptions and written solos and a lot of other stuff. You will also find that throughout these pages there are tiny bits of philosophy here and there interwoven with the music material. I like to think of it as Zen philosophy - but it is really nothing more than "ancient Eastern common sense everyday life type of wisdom" that most of us humans have lost somewhere along the way through history but that we can find again...
- Finally - I just released three new singles! Listen to Innocent Mental Mood, Innocent Mental Mood Episode II and TANSTAFJ ( There Ain't No Such Thing as Free Jazz) on Spotify or any other streaming service! You can also buy them from CD Baby or iTunes. I will very soon release a few more singles, so stay tuned...
- I am soon going to release my second CD. This one is also going to feature instrumental music. It is going to be jazzier, more progressive, more written/ arranged and feature more different instruments - like keyboards and wind instruments... I am going to start more or less from zero and make a very different album than my last one. Why? Because I can... :-)
- My CD Zen Guitar Songs was released Sep 5 2015. You can buy it directly from me, order it from the shop, buy it from CD Baby or iTunes or in most local record shops. You can also listen to it on Spotify and other streaming services.
- I have been elected Kristiinankaupunki's Artist of the Year 2013!
- I currently teach guitar, ukulele, electric bass, piano, drums, ensemble playing, improvisation, composition/ songwriting/ arranging, notation and music theory at Musikinstitutet Legato/ Legato Music School, at Kauhajoen evankelinen opisto, at Kristinestads medborgarinstitut, at Närpes vuxeninstitut and at Lappfjärds folkhögskola.
- Check out my pages on facebook, bandcamp, hitRECord, Instagram, LinkedIn, ReverbNation, SoundCloud, Spotify or YouTube.
- I have now for a few years been studying online at Berklee College of Music. I have already received a Specialist Certificate in Jazz Composition and Arranging and now I am studying Music Composition for Film, TV and Games...
- I and a couple of other musicians have formed a working group called Krs Jazz. Krs Jazz has been arranging jazz concerts/ gigs in the Kristiinankaupunki area since 2008.
- I have recently started playing in Närpes Big Band. The big band format seems to be going through some kind of revival. That is really great, I love playing in a big band, it is great to have to keep up the sight-reading skills and great to be allowed to play this classic type of jazz music. I am currently working on big band arrangements of some of my own compositions...
- My work with Kristiinankaupungin Teatteriyhdistys continues. Kristiinankaupungin Teatteriyhdistys is a theatre group in Kristiinankaupunki and I write some of the music for their plays.
- My FREE online jazz lessons are updated frequently. The latest lessons are A Series of Lessons on Composition/ Songwriting/ Arranging, "Negative Harmony", On Writing Music and My Own Music.
- My pop CD is still in the works. Some vocals and percussion are still to be recorded and then it is the mixing, of course...
- Check out the map below by maploco! I love to see that this website is continuously visited from all over the world! If you like this website, how about dropping me a line? :-)
Last updated: Wed Feb 7 14:00 EET 2018.
Thanks for stopping by. Have a nice day and be back soon!
( If you'd like to visit my other web pages, they can be found here.)
Copyright © 2004-2018 Tomas Karlsson. All rights reserved.