- Born 1954
- I got sent to the usual piano lessons age 7-12 , some more at my initiative at 14-15 , played organ with blues bands ( Mayall , Ten Years After , Fleetwood Mac etc. )
- influenced heavily by Jethro Tull , studied the flute at Espoo Conservatory for five years
- After seeing Fairport Convention in 1972 formed folk-rock group Vanha Isanta with Timo VakkilaInen in 1973
- Won the finnish rock championship in 1973 with Vanha Isanta , playing souped-up British/Irish folk.
- Four albums with Vanha Isanta 1975-1979 . During
this time , as the bands focus shifted to bluegrass and country I found
my instruments : first the Dobro and a bit later the pedal steel . They
felt natural to me immediately and still do.
In 1979 Ronnie Osterberg , the drummer of a top finnish group of the
day , Wigwam , asked me to join the reforming group. I , of course
- Eventually renamed The Jim Pembroke Band , the
“new Wigwam” released one album “Flatbroke” in
1980 and I still consider it one of the finest albums I have been
By this time I was doing a fair amount of session work on the dobro and
the pedal steel and still do. I`ve played sessions for many top finnish
artists and bands with about 2500 recorded songs to prove it !
- 80-82 tours and sessions with various finnish artists
- Joined J. Karjalainen`s band in 1982 and played with him for over three years
- Four albums with J. Karjalainen ; 2 gold , 1 platinum…
- After Karjalainen , a nine year “stint” with THE instituton of finnish rock , the longest running rock band in Finland : Eero ,Jussi and the Boys. Three albums and lots of roadwork…
During the Boys tenure I also played with various other finnish artists
including Tuomari Nurmio , Mikko Kuustonen , Freud,Marx, Engels &
Jung and Dallas Wayne.
- Nominated for “Musician of the Year” in the local Grammy Awards , The Emmas in 1993
- After the Boys I became a full-time member of Dallas Wayne and the Dimlights
- Played with Dallas until he went back to USA in 2000.
- Three albums with Dallas Wayne
Lots of roadwork and fun with Kari Tapio 1997-2001. Probably the most
successful pop-singer in Finland , Kari Tapio has strong country
leanings , so after doing sessions for him since the early 80`s , I
finally got to play live gigs with him . About 500 of them…
A trip to Austin in 1999 to produce an album for Freud ,Marx
,Engels & Jung . By coincidence I got fill in for Herb Steiner at
the Broken Spoke . An all-star event , I got to play with Doug Sahm ,
Ray Benson and Alvin Crow !!
Attended the International Steel Guitar Convention in St. Louis in 2000
for the second time and this time even played there .
Since 2002 I`ve played with the band Hoedown in various incarnations
from a trio to the full , seven piece roots orchestra.
Currently I also play with The Farangs (my brother`s
ethnic/ambient/dub/whatnot band) and The Ninni Poijarvi Trio , a solo
project of Ninni Poijarvi , vocalist/violinist of Hoedown
- Two albums with the Farangs , one with Ninni.
My own album “Music for Bus Stop”s was released in 2002 and
was critically very well received , if I may say so myself.
Commercially , that’s another story…
2004 we did a pilgrimage of sorts to the States with singer Jorma
Kaariainen and recorded at the Sun Studio and in Nashville .
- 2006 A short tour of Australia with Hoedown Trio , performing with Audrey Auld.
- Working on my second own album , producing other peoples records , playing gigs..............
- 2007 A trip to Levon Helm Studio to record , did two albums in 4 days. Played the Midnight Ramble....
- 2007-2009 tours with finnish icon, Vesa-Matti Loiri
- 2008 a second trip to Levon`s studio. Recorded with Ninni, Mika and
Levon`s daughter Amy. Played the Ramble again, this time also with
Levon also ! a dream come true: The Weight with THE master....
-2009 Produced Kari Tapio`s country album with brother Janne
-2010 new albums with Hayden Thompson and Hoedown
-2011 Produced new CD for Mac Curtis