"Pool of Radiance. Curse of the Azure Bonds. For some - mere titles of obsolete games. For others, sacred words, hallowed words, words never spoken without that tell-tale sigh of longing brought by years of insatiable, incurable nostalgia."
Matt Barton, Dungeons & Desktops
Introduction - A battle begins...
SSI's AD&D "Gold Box" games were released in 1988-1992 and set in the fantasy worlds of Forgotten Realms and Dragonlance. They were among the best of turn-based CRPGs and are still being played today.
Gold Box Companion is a tool for all the Gold Box games plus Unlimited Adventures and the two SSI's Buck Rogers games. It offers automapping, easy-to-use journal entries and helps with some of the interface issues to make playing a little less tedious.
GBC searches for game, character and map data in DOSBox memory.
- Fix-command for Pool of Radiance. Works with the other games as well. Instantly heals the characters. Can not be used while in combat.
- Store the list of memorized spells and restore the spells with a single click. Can not be used while in combat.
- Character editor. Reads/modifies memory so it's instant compared to save file editors. Can not be used while in combat.
- Autodisable quickfight after combat. Some of the older games didn't disable quickfight between fights so you could enter a dangerous fight with quickfight on.
- Temporarily change demihuman race to human to avoid experience level limits.
- HUD above DOSBox window with hit points, character icons, XP meters and effects. Shows good effects in green, bad in red. Also shows if a character is level drained.
- Automap with party location.
- You can add notes to the map.
- World map view. Shows party location in some games.
- Combat view. Shows character / monster locations. Shows if character/monster is held or helpless.
- Journal entries.
- Teleporting. You can teleport to a chosen location on the map. You can also teleport on the world map in some of the games.
- Save Game Editor also included. You can edit party composition (swap members in/out), edit inventories and effects.
- Some modding tools for changing the font and editing game data.
- Lists saved games chronologically with a description of the location (map name).
- Able to backup to latest save game.
- Windows XP or newer.
- DOSBox DOS-emulator to run old software on modern computers. If you use the GOG-versions, you don't need to install DOSBox.
- Any fantasy-themed Gold Box game, Unlimited Adventures, Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday or Matrix Cubed. If you don't already have these, check out GOG.com for the Forgotten Realms and Krynn -games.
Gold Box Companion
Saved games (You can download and use these even if no plan to use GBC.)
Gold Box Companion v2.20 (09-August-2016). This is meant to be used with the GOG-versions of the game but might work with others too. Unarchive the zip-archive into some folder and read GBC.txt inside. GBC.exe is the main Gold Box Companion program, double click on it to start. SGE.exe is the Save Game Editor. There are also some experimental modding tools included.
Gold Box Companion v2.01 (16-October-2015). Older version that is not so picky about game versions but lacks the effect display, combat view and world map view.
Saves near ending for all the Krynn-games. Party of 2 human knights, elven cleric/ranger, human cleric, elven white mage and elven red mage.
Saves near ending and before key moments for Pool of Radiance, Curse of the Azure Bonds, Secret of the Silver Blades and Pools of Darkness. Save for Pools of Darkness, at the very beginning with characters transferred from SotSB with all the great loot. Party of 3 human fighters, half-elven fighter/cleric, elven fighter/mage and elven fighter/mage/thief. 2 fighters were replaced with a human paladin and a half-elf cleric/ranger in CotAB. Also includes a save just before the Mulmaster Beholder Corps fight in CotAB and Gothmenes / Dave's challenge battles in PoD. Included two characters with the best loot in PoD.
Saves near ending for the two Savage Frontier-games. Party of human fighter, human paladin, human ranger, dwarven fighter/thief, human cleric and elven magic-user.
Hacked saves for Pools of Darkness. Party of 8 dual-classed characters with hacked equipment. Saves near Gothmenes and Dave's challenge.
- formats.zip ... Description of character save file formats. List of all effects and items in the games.
- oystein_por.pdf ... Pool of Radiance walktrough by Oystein.
- pools.pdf ... Pools of Darkness walktrough by Matt Haag.
- dqkitems.zip ... Some hacked items for The Dark Queen of Krynn, by Redeye.
- passwords.zip ... Excel-sheet of passwords for the games.
- goldboxfont.zip ... Gold Box styled font.
- phlan.png ... Maps of all Pool of Radiance's Phlan-locations fit together.
- wilderness.png ... Maps of all Pool of Radiance's wilderness locations.
- daxdump.zip ... DAXDump and ECLDump by Simeon Pilgrim. Can be used to decode the run-length encoding of the DAX files.
- tlbutil2.zip ... TLButil2 by Itamar / Dan Autery. For extracting TLB-files (The Dark Queen of Krynn and FRUA).
- unp411.zip ... If you want to hack old DOS game executables, you probably need to unpack them first with this utiliity.
- hackdocs.zip ... File formats of many FRUA related files.
Buy the games
GameBanshee's Walkthroughs & FAQs
The-Spoiler's Walkthroughs & FAQs
Other Walkthroughs & FAQs
Forum threads at FRUA & Dungeon Craft Community
Gold Box related blog posts at The Digital Antiquarian
Longplays / Let's plays
- GOG.com ... The Forgotten Realms - games can be bought legally from Good Old Games (GOG.com).
- GOG.com ... The Krynn - games can be bought legally from Good Old Games (GOG.com).
Some additional screenshots from modded games here and here. The modding tools are included in the GBC package.
GBC starts with a wizard to search for game/character data in the memory. You select a game, set the game folder, select the save slot then search. Saved games are listed chronologically and the map name is also shown.
HUD with combat icons and effects displayed. The bars are for Hit Points and XP. Map with autoexplore.
World map view.
Another world map view.
Combat view. Stats and effects can be viewed by targeting a monster with the mouse.
A menu opens by moving the mouse over the HUD.
Journal entries can be viewed through the menu.
Character editor. When in combat, monsters can also be edited.
Save game editor. You can backup saves, replace/add characters and edit inventory/effects.
With the Monster Modder you can browse and edit monsters.
Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday and Matrix Cubed are now supported.
Forgotten Realms Unlimited Adventures is also supported.